Bryan Municipal Utilities is committed to energy efficiency and energy conservation. We offer several programs to help our customers save energy, save money and save the environment. Try our online energy profile. The energy profile will help you analyze your annual energy use and the costs of each energy system and major appliance in your home. The personal energy profile will also recommend specific steps you can take to reduce energy costs and save money. Link to Energy Depot.
Simple tips to save energy and cut costs
- Set your thermostat comfortably low in the winter and comfortably high in the summer. Install a programmable thermostat that is compatible with your heating and cooling system.
- Clean or replace filters on furnaces once a month or as needed.
- Use LED light bulbs.
- Air-dry dishes instead of using your dishwasher’s drying cycle.
- Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use.
- Plug home electronics, such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips; turn the power strips off when the equipment is not in use (TVs and DVDs in standby mode still use several watts of power).
- Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 115 degrees F.
- Take short showers instead of baths.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Drive sensibly. Aggressive driving, (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gasoline.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label on home appliances and products. ENERGY STAR products meet strict efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.
For more information to help you save energy and Energy Star appliances and products, visit these Web sites:
U.S. Department of Energy Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Alliance to Save Energy